Sunday, July 6, 2014

Drugstore Lipstick Collection Swatches

Hello there! In my last post, I shared with you some swatches of my drugstore lip gloss collection. Today I am going to show you all of my drugstore lipsticks! I actually don’t wear lip products (except for lip balm) very often. When I do, I tend to reach for my Revlon Lip Butters. I’ll be doing a completely separate post on the lip butters next. But for now, I’m going to focus on my lipsticks.

I am going to divide this post by color family: Pinks and Reds. Here are lip swatches of the Pinks, and I'll have individual swatches below. **Click on images to enlarge!**

Clockwise from top right corner: Revlon Baby Pink, Maybelline Born With It, Covergirl Watermelon Twist, Milani Vivacious Fuchsia, and Covergirl Fairytale

Packaging


Baby Pink, Born With It, Watermelon Twist, Fairytale, Vivacious Fuchsia


Revlon Colorburst Lipstick- 020 Baby Pink

To be honest, I’ve never worn this lipstick except to swatch it. I found this on clearance for about $2 because this line of Revlon lipsticks is discontinued. I thought it was so pretty when I first bought it, but I haven’t even worn it since! But after swatching it today, I think I will reach for this more often. Baby Pink is a cool toned pink with a very fine silver shimmer. The formula is very creamy and pigmented. I think this shade might be a little too pale for everyday wear, but definitely pretty.

Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick- 015 Born With It

I reviewed this color a few years ago on this blog. It was one of my first drugstore lipsticks and I’ve loved it ever since. Born With It is absolutely a “my lips but better” shade for me. It is a little warmer in color than Baby Pink. It is perfect to wear every day and is appropriate any time of day. The formula is very creamy and comfortable on the lips. I believe this lipstick will flatter most skin tones.

Covergirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm- 215 Watermelon Twist

This jumbo lip pencil is perfect to throw in your purse without worrying about it. It twists up to expose more product. Watermelon Twist is a pretty, bright, warm pink, very similar in color to the Revlon Lip Butter in Sweet Tart. For me, the formula drags a little on my lips and isn’t the most moisturizing, but still wears comfortably.

Covergirl Lip Perfection Lipstick- 405 Fairytale

This is another lipstick I haven’t actually worn before. From the swatch you might understand why. This baby is BRIGHT. Fairytale is a vibrant coral lipstick. This is another product that is just a little bit dry to my taste. Other reviews on these lipsticks claim that these are moisturizing. But when I apply this I get little dry patches of color, as you can probably see in the swatch above. I need to rub in the color with my fingers to even everything out. Maybe when I’m feeling super sassy I’ll finally wear this color out. It would be perfect for a girl’s night out!

Milani HD Advanced Lipstick- 112 Vivacious Fuchsia

I received this product from Milani a few years ago from a giveaway, and shared swatches on my blog previously. I just wanted to give this lipstick some more love. Vivacious Fuchsia is exactly what its name says, vivacious and fuchsia. It glides on so smoothly and it smells heavenly! It has a fruity watermelon scent, which might bother some people. This is a great color for a night out or if you’re feeling sassy during the day. These HD Advanced lipsticks might be discontinued because I found a few in my local Dollar Tree. 

Now on to the Reds.

Counterclockwise from top left corner: Milani Candy Apple, L'Oreal Blushing Berry, Revlon Cherries in the Snow, NYX Mary Janes, and Maybelline Red Revival



Candy Apple, Blushing Berry, Cherries in the Snow, Red Revival, and Mary Janes



Milani HD Advanced Lipstick- 114 Candy Apple

I found Candy Apple in my local Dollar Tree for only $1 when the original retail of these were about $8. That's a steal! This is a bright pinkish red that glides on super nicely. It isn't totally opaque which makes it pretty wearable. I think this is a red for the summer.

L’Oreal Color Riche Lipstick- 590 Blushing Berry

I'm in a performance group at my university and we were told to wear a berry red lipstick. I went on a hunt for the perfect one, and this is the one I've been wearing the last three years. It is a little bit deeper in person. This is the color I think of when I think of berry lipsticks. The formula is nice and creamy.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick- 440 Cherries In The Snow

This is one of Revlon's iconic shades that has survived for years. Cherries in the Snow is a bright pinky toned red. It's a little more red in person but this swatch shows the pinkness of it really well. The formula is creamy like a dream, and this color stains my lip a bit. Perfect for the cold winter months!

Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick- 645 Red Revival

Last fall, I was determined to find my perfect red lipstick. I was down the makeup isle, and saw a poster for the Maybelline Color Sensational Lipsticks. I adored the lipstick the model was wearing and it told me which one it was. I bought it and fell in love. This swatch doesn't do the color justice, especially with that line on my upper lip. (Sorry!) This red is a little bit of a deeper red in person, and I swear it is the perfect red for me.
Here is a picture of me wearing Red Revival. (My first time showing my face on this blog... ahhhhh!!!)

Me wearing Maybelline Red Revival


NYX Butter Lipstick- BLS08 Mary Janes

Mary Janes is actually very similar to Maybelline Red Revival. I had to buy this after seeing swatches online. It applies so easily and it is a nice deep red. I'll definitely be alternating between this and Red Revival in the fall and winter months when I gravitate towards reds. I've read that many people think the NYX Butter Lipsticks are cheaply packaged, but I kind of like it. It's not nearly as chic as the Revlon Superlustrous packaging, but I think it's pretty durable.

Those are all of my drugstore lipsticks. Some might say I have too many or too little. I think I have just enough variety to get me by on a poor college girl's budget. I hope you enjoyed the swatches & I'd love to know what drugstore lipsticks are your favorites!

Have a lovely day!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment